We first moved into the Aspen Ridge apartments in 2006 and Lived there for five years. At the beginning we can say that the apartments were decent and management was ok. That's probably the best thing we can say for these apartments though. After that there was a new manager every year, sometimes 2, and there was always someone different working in the office so we didn't always know who exactly was the manager. Maintenance is always someone different and sometimes they look like the drug addicts and drunks you see walking down central. If you need something to get fixed, good luck. They say they will get to it but then they won't even put in a work order and the next "manager" doesn't even know anything about it. Every year it would just get a little worse, luckily I can fix most things on my own.
That's just the tip of the iceberg though. It's a gated community but the gates almost never worked. The front gate stayed open for the entire year during the last year that we lived there and the keypad for the gate almost never works. Then they expect you to pay a $50 deposit for a gate key but we should have never even bothered. The pool is always dirty and looks like people have been using it for a toilet because it looks like the water is green. People let their kids play out in the parking lot and some will actually vandalize your vehicle. My wife's vehicle had scratches all over her hood and doors like if they were drawing on the car. We even caught the kids doing it! The adults are just as bad because they have no respect for other people's property. I would go out of my way to park as close to the curb as possible and some idiot would still park as close as possible to my car and hit my door with there's. I eventually just started taking up two parking spaces on purpose to get my point across that just because you don't care about your car doesn't mean I don't care about mine!
The worst thing about these apartments though has got to be that our health was negatively affected, only problem is we couldn't prove it without spending some serious cash. Otherwise we would have sued them for everything they have. Especially considering the fact that our youngest daughter does not have a spleen and can get sick much easier than anyone else. I would have to vacuum everyday, and every day I would fill up my vacuums canister with this really fine dust. We don't have a cheap vacuum either, we own a Dyson and it's the one for allergies. Oh, and when we first moved in the place was crawling with roaches. We ended up having to buy a bunch of roach motels and jus putting them everywhere to get rid of them for good.
Almost all of the windows in our unit would mold up in the winter time because the windows themselves were obviously not installed correctly. Not only would they mold up but when it got really cold there would be icicles and ice built up all around the windows. Not on the outside of the window though, on the inside. They would tell us it's because we need to let air in but who opens their windows when its night time and freezing! We were probably one of the few people who did actually open their windows in the day time. I wish I could post the pictures because you would not believe how much ice built up. Of course eventually the ice would melt and we would clean it up but the windows would still always mold up.
The windows had condensation in between them year around as well, so moisture was most definitely getting behind the wall. This is why even though we would clean up the mold, it would just come back. When we complained about this, which was for about 3 years, nothing would get done. During our last year there the regional manager came and looked at our unit and said he would have to talk to the owners but that it would get handled. PLEASE! All they did to handle it was put new caulking to cover the cracks where the window was separating from the wall because of all the moisture and then they painted it over. We spoke to a mold specialist and he just advised us it was best to just move out since it wasn't our property. It wouldn't be worth the cost to prove it and then still wait for them to handle it. One of the temporary workers in the office told us the same thing and that it was best just to move out. She had told us that we weren't the only apartment with this problem either. She told us that one apartment was so bad they had mushrooms growing along the window, on the inside of the unit. After that we were just disgusted and started looking for a new place.
After this experience we are certain that we will never rent at an apartment complex again, no matter how nice it looks because looks can be deceiving. So if you care about your health and well being, avoid these apartments.